Exciting ways to spend Christmas in Sri Lanka
Planning your holidays for this year? Consider Sri Lanka: an amazing South East Asian pearl shaped island located just below India. If Christmas is what you are looking at, there are several places where to spend Christmas in Sri Lanka and make it an exciting holiday for you. A Sri Lanka Christmas itinerary should be well researched so that you don’t miss out on the gala meals and massive turkey feasts and other Christmas celebrations during this festive period. Your Sri Lanka itinerary for the month of December can revolve around destinations where you can enjoy the beaches, hill country, wildlife, and culture in the spirit of true Christmas.
Why choose to spend Christmas in Sri Lanka?
- Enjoy some of the best Christmas lunches, brunches and dinners.
- Shop till you drop – with amazing deals at several banded retail outlets
- Be a part of exciting events such as the tourism fest, Christmas parties and more.
Where to spend Christmas in Sri Lanka
A Sri Lanka Christmas itinerary is not complete without a few days in the bustling city of Colombo. As the busiest city in the country, Colombo has a lot happening during the Christmas season.
- Gala Meals – All the five and four star hotels promote incredible spreads of breakfast, lunch, brunch and dinner on Christmas eve and Christmas day. These meals include roasted turkey, pork items, splendid spread of salads along with an international cuisine. In addition to the food, the service and ambience at most hotels is astonishing. Some of the hotels that provide these exclusive services are The Kingsbury, Hilton, Galadari, Taj Samudra, Ozo Colombo and Cinnamon Grand. Some hotels also have special family meals with Santa Claus at every table so children can converse with them in the spirit of Christmas.
- Extraordinary decorations – All the aforementioned hotels go out of their way to create innovative themes and decoration ideas every Christmas. As you walk into the hotel, the surrounding atmosphere makes you feel extremely special with all the dangling mistletoe, beautifully designed Christmas trees, reindeers and of course, Santa Claus.
- Fun Events – The Christmas/Tourism Fest usually takes place at the Independence Arcade, during the few days prior to Christmas Day. This event includes a variety of trade and food stalls, stunning firework shows, introduction to Sri Lankan culture, best shopping deals and a whole lot of Christmas carols.
- Shopping – All the leading brands in Sri Lanka will go on sale or offer tremendous discounts to shoppers during the Christmas season. Apparel is an industry that many tourists and locals want to invest in Sri Lanka. So wait for Christmas and fill up your wardrobe with amazing deals on clothing items.
- Christmas Parties – Arrange your stay at any one of the many leading hotels around the island and you will be glad to find Christmas parties hosted there. Get together with your family and loved ones and drink and dance all night long. If you are travelling with your children and toddlers, let them run wild on the dance floor and enjoy themselves. Some hotels host special kiddies parties with fun and games for the kids.
See Also : Best Places to Visit in Colombo
Kandy is the second busiest city in Sri Lanka and you will find a bit of all of the above at top hotels and shopping centers in Kandy. While the Christmas spirit is not displayed on almost every roadside boutique, major hotels such as Amaya Hills, Hunas Falls, Ozo Kandy and Queens Hotel make sure they have something or the other to cater to tourists celebrating Christmas at their hotel; it could be the food, the decoration, the parties or it could include all three!
Apart from that, guests can do a lot of sightseeing and learn about Sri Lankan culture in Kandy. There is the Temple of the Sacred Tooth Relic, the Botanical Gardens (Peradeniya) and the Elephant Orphanage (Pinnawela) as three of the highlights in Kandy.
Related Links to Kandy :
- Kandy Itinerary
- Best Places to Visit in Kandy
- Best Time to Visit in Kandy
- Things to do in Kandy
- Kandy Perahera
- Top 5 Places to Visit in Kandy during Kandy Perahera
- 5 Interesting Facts about Kandy Perahera
- Temple of the Tooth (Sri Dalada Maligawa)
For celebrating Christmas in Nuwara Eliya, hotels like Langdale by Amaya, Heritance Tea Factory, Grand Hotel and Jetwing St. Andrews are ideal. These hotels will have religiously gala meals with all the Christmas sweetmeats and of course, the perfect Turkey; often at a small surcharge from the guests. While shopping may not be ideal in Nuwara Eliya, parties and fun is most certainly possible at the hotels.
In their Sri Lanka Christmas itinerary, tourists can also include tea factory visits, adventurous trekking activities, climbing the Adam’s Peak and enjoying the breathtaking view of sunrise and visiting the dairy farms and the “World’s End” spot on Horton Plains. .
What better way to celebrate Christmas than partying on the exotic beaches of this incredible tropical island? Galle should be a must visit on your list of places where to spend Christmas in Sri Lanka. Walk around the colonial streets of Galle Fort and you will feel like you are in 13th century Britain. Christmas carols and decorated trees are visible in a few of the boutique restaurants/cafés/shops along the streets. While in Galle, don’t forget to visit the Dutch Fort, the museum and the turtle hatchery. Also, take a dip in the clear and shallow waters of the southern coastline.
See Also : Sri Lanka West Coast Itinerary
Let us help you build an entertaining Sri Lanka Christmas itinerary
If you choose to visit Sri Lanka in December, we have a whole heap of places where to spend Christmas in Sri Lanka. So it will no doubt be a memorable holiday for you with all the trimmings of the festive season. Pick a few scenic locations where you would like to spend Christmas and we will create a tailor-made itinerary for you according to your preferences. We have tourists visiting from various parts of the world, including Europe, UK, USA, New Zealand, Australia, Africa, India, Singapore, Thailand, etc during Christmas and we present them with attractive Sri Lanka Christmas itineraries in order to ensure that they go back home with the best possible Christmas memories.
Find out more about Christmas in Sri Lanka.
Let us help you build the perfect Sri Lanka Itinerary
Did you know that we offer a free itinerary design service to help you make most of your holiday in Sri Lanka? Our free itinerary will include the following and much more information.
• BEST PLACES TO VISIT WITH A DETAILED DESCRIPTION OF EACH PLACE
• DISTANCE BETWEEN PLACES WHICH WOULD HELP YOU PLAN YOUR DAY
• HOTEL RECOMMENDATIONS HAND PIACKED BY YOUR EXPERT
• COST FOR A TOUR JUST IN CASE YOU DECIDE TO BOOK A TOUR WITH US
• SINGLE POINT OF CONTACT TO ANSWER ANY QUESTIONS OVER THE PHONE OR EMAIL